Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Our McKenna


Over this past weekend, something life-altering happened in our family. Our oldest daughter turned 11. I remember her birth as though it were yesterday, as well as the LOVE that we were introduced to as a result of God giving us our firstborn. She is a treasure. I blog about her often, so I know you know how incredibly blessed we are to call her our own. She never ceases to amaze us with her love for people. She is genuinely concerned about others, and seeks to serve them in whatever way possible. Never have I seen another like her - she gets physically ill if she even thinks that she won't be able to go with her Daddy on Sunday mornings to help prepare things for people to arrive. She takes it so seriously. She told me that it is what she enjoys...what makes her feel special. I want to be like her when I grow up!

Eleven years ago was one of the best days of our life as we welcomed our sweet 7 lb 13 oz. baby into our lives. She has blossomed into a beauty on the inside and outside. We look forward to seeing just where God takes her in life, and we pray her life is even more blessed than our own has been.

I actually missed her birthday this year for a ladies' retreat. I struggled with my decision even while there, but I am thankful that McKenna knows the best gift I could give her is taking opportunities to go and grow in my relationship with my Father so that I can be a better mother to her. We had a fun time before I left, and she even got to go fishing with her dad, grandfather and sisters for her special day. There is not a day that goes by that I don't celebrate you, McKenna. You are a gift to all who know you. It is my honor to be your mother. Your Daddy and I are so proud of the young woman that you are becoming. Know that God has great plans for you, sweet girl! We can't wait to watch them all unfold!

2 comments:

The Pettigrew's said...

I am truly blessed by McKenna every Sunday morning. I love her and I hate when I don't see her!

Marsha said...

McKenna is an awesome woman-child (can't call her a woman yet, but she is so mature for the age of 11!). Seeing her outside with Jeff brings back very sweet memories of days with my daddy. I was a daddy's girl and always wanted to help him. I also love to see McKenna helping Ms. Norma in the KidzLife Cafe ~ she truly shines with that beautiful smile when she is greeting the children ~ I watch them come to her as if she is a mother (she is at heart you know). We love her and count her a blessing to our family too! Love ya, Marsha