Saturday, January 9, 2010

12 months of Investing


Very recently we (at Lifesong) were challenged to Invest...time, resources, gifts, talents, love, compassion - whatever we could to love God by loving others. The result of this challenge was different for everyone, but for me, I was really challenged, and convicted, that I was not investing in my kids' lives as intentionally as I should be. Sure, I'm home with them a lot - that's what my life's calling is, but I had not been giving it my all. During Christmas, this really seemed to stay with me. What could I do to show each of my girls - individually - that I want to spend time with them...that I want to get to know the "girls of God" that they are. I get so stressed sometimes trying to find alone time with each of the girls, so this year, after NOT over-thinking it, I decided to gift the girls with 12 months of alone time with Mom. Dad even jumped in on the fun with his on ideas, too. We each decided to come up with an idea per month that we could take our daughters - by themselves - on fun days. Some of the things we came up with are things we actually have managed to stay consistent in doing with them, but for me, it was the being intentional aspect of things that made this matter the most. Knowing that on a designated day each month of the year the girls and I would have our day together is so exciting to me.
Today, Avery and I have made plans for our first month's activity together. She chose the "Dinner and a Movie with Mom" certificate I gave her. Over the next year, I'll post pics of our time together so I can have a record of it. I'm excited, and my prayer is that we'll reach December 2010 with loads and loads of brand new memories...and a LOT of laughs!
How have you been intentionally investing in others?

2 comments:

The Pettigrew's said...

I really like this idea.

Kris said...

What a great idea! :)