Wednesday, December 17, 2008

12/17/94



Fourteen years ago today, at precisely 2:00pm, I married the love of my life. I have always been one of these women that has her wedding day planned out by age 15 and dreamed at night of the man that would fulfill the plans of a "like none other" wedding day. Truth be told, I'm one of those that went to college for her Mrs. degree! :) Not really, but after getting my education, finding my soulmate was next in line. So, the day I met Jeffery Hickman, who knew my life would be all the better forever? This guy with a curly perm and snow white Duck Head Jeans, wearing a pink shirt, came into the room and right into my life. He befriended me instantly. He flirted instantly. He looked at me with those clear blue eyes and I was smitten...instantly! Within two months of meeting, we were "officially" dating, and a year and a half later, married.

Being married to Jeff has been the greatest gift I've been given, aside from my salvation. If you ask anyone that knows him, I know they would tell you he is the kind of man that you are all the better just for knowing. He loves people passionately. He is not afraid to take a risk. He doesn't feel the need to go with the flow. He's original and unique. Very intimidating....very tenderhearted. He is the same person behind closed doors that he is in public. He's a leader, but is willing to follow to give you a chance to soar, too. He's a visionary....he sees the big picture, says, "We CAN do this," and he goes after it! He LOVES God...he LOVES me....he LOVES his girls.
He puts us as a priority, even when it means sacrificing more time working...an extra dollar...kicking his feet up. We go to bed at night knowing we are the loves of his life. Being married to Jeff, to me, means a lifelong journey of hope, promise, laughter and SO NOT the la-dee- dah! It means commitment and covenant. It means a promise that when he fails, he doesn't give up. It's a life of "we're in this together"...we're a team. He does not degrade me, but he makes me soar in all I do. He is truly the LOVE of my LIFE. Words cannot describe my life with Jeff adequately. I know I'm blessed. God has united us to touch lives, but not before we touch each other's life. We work together, live life together, hurt together, doing NOTHING together, and do EVERYTHING together. We are best friends.
Today, my love, I commit more of me to you. I hope that next year, and the years to come, I will not be at the same place with you that I am now...it can ONLY get better. Walking hand in hand with you is the joy of my life. I am proud of you. I know you, and I want to know you more. I am in awe of who God created you to be.
Today is a milestone in our lives, but everyday with you is a celebration. I love you. Happy Anniversary!

2 comments:

The Pettigrew's said...

Girl this makes me cry in happiness... No envy but I would love to have this with someone else of course. You guys are wonderful together. We love you lots.

Christina said...

Congratulations!! I love your story...too sweet:) The pictures are AWESOME!! Y'all haven't changes a bit :)